About the Program
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA fulfills the important need of supporting the increasing number of cancer survivors who find themselves in the transitional period between completing their cancer treatment and the shift to feeling physically and emotionally strong enough to attempt to return to their normal life or their "new normal." Cancer survivors are defined as anyone from diagnosis through remission.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a 12-week program for adult cancer survivors that meets twice a week for an hour and 15 minutes. YMCA wellness coaches will work with each participant to fit the program to his or her individual needs. The instructors are trained in the elements of cancer, post rehab exercise and supportive cancer care.
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve day-to-day life
- Reduce the severity of therapy side effects
- Prevent unwanted weight changes
- Improve energy levels and self esteem
In addition to the physical benefits, the program provides participants a supportive environment and a feeling of community with their fellow survivors, YMCA staff and members.
A final goal of the program is to assist participants in developing their own physical fitness program, so they can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle, not only as part of their recovery, but as a way of life.
Ys offering LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA will be offered this spring at the following locations:
- Katy Family YMCA, Mon/Wed, 12:30pm - 1:45pm > more information
- Weekley Family YMCA, TBD > more information
- D. Bradley McWilliams YMCA at Cypress Creek, Mon/Wed, 6:30pm - 7:45pm > more information
More sites will be added in 2013.
The costs associated with the program are underwritten by the YMCA. Space is limited for each session to allow for a low LIVESTRONG at the YMCA instructor to participant ratio.
How to Register
For more information, or to register for LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, email BetterHealth@ymcahouston.org.
Or email the Program Director at your local center to register directly,
- Katy Family YMCA, Cindy Jackson
- Weekley Family YMCA, Alex Taylor
- D. Bradley McWilliams YMCA at Cypress Creek, Debbie Rollins