The YMCA of Greater Houston’s Equity Innovation Center is a shared space for members of the community to learn, lead, organize, advocate, and meaningfully connect with a shared focus on equity and undoing institutional racism.
6 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO SUPPORT RACIAL EQUITY IN THE WORKPLACE
- Take the Harvard Implicit Association Race Test
- Read, Listen, and Learn. Read a book, review an article or blog or listen to a podcast. Learn a new perspective that may be life altering in a positive way. Feel free to start with the resources shared on this page.
- Non-people of color take a honest, heartfelt look at your own relationship with race and start those mindful yet challenging conversations with each other and your staff and colleagues of color. It may be awkward, strange and uncomfortable, but that’s okay.
- People of color start creating those safe and brave spaces for each other to share your experiences and have those crucial conversations in the workplace. Empower yourself and others to invite non-people of color to share in the dialogue with understanding and compassion.
- Speak Up & Out about an injustice or uncomfortable situation as it happens every day. Allies and advocates need to support others so they will know they are not alone.
- Join an Employee Resource Group (ERG). YMCA of Greater Houston ERG’s are committed to creating safe and brave spaces for employees to feel wholly known, seen, and heard while empowering themselves and each other. Get connected email email@example.com
Join us on the journey to equity and undoing institutional racism. Your support will ensure that the resources and tools necessary to do this important work are available for all.