It’s a Play Date: YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day™ Aims to Get Families Moving Through Play
HOUSTON – On Saturday, April 16, the YMCA of Greater Houston is encouraging all kids and parents in the greater Houston community to come to the Y for a play date and commit to being active every day. It’s all part of the YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day™ – the nation’s largest free health day for families.
As a leading nonprofit strengthening community through healthy living, the Y holds Healthy Kids Day to teach healthy habits to kids and inspire a lifetime love of physical activity. At a time when one in three children in the United States are overweight or obese (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), developing healthier habits that include increased physical activity is more important than ever.
“At the YMCA of Greater Houston, we know that parents struggle to find the time to incorporate more active play and healthier habits into their kids’ daily routine,” says Clark Baker, CEO of the YMCA of Greater Houston. “Doing so doesn’t have to require extra money or resources. It’s as simple as making a play date with your kids, with two key requirements – be active and have fun!”
As part of Healthy Kids Day, the Y encourages families to make play dates everyday as a simple way to become healthier, more active and connected. The YMCA of Greater Houston recommends five simple activities families can do to play together:
- Schedule a Game Night: Play games with the kids that incorporate physical activity, such as Charades.
- Dance, Dance: Turn on your favorite party music and dance! Make this activity more fun with a dance contest.
- Go Riding: Find a new bike path or park for a fun afternoon outdoors; grab your helmets and go rollerblading or bike riding.
- Channel Your Inner Youth: Remember playing hopscotch, jump rope, Simon Says or freeze tag as a kid? Teach your favorite childhood game to your kid(s) and play them together.
- Play Outside: Visit your neighborhood park or camp out in your backyard for some outdoor fun. Get everyone moving with fun sports like soccer, basketball or baseball.
Most YMCA Healthy Kids Day events begin at 10 a.m. and run to 1 p.m., but times vary by location. To find the YMCA nearest you call 713-659-5566 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., or visit www.ymcahouston.org any time.