The YMCA of Greater Houston is committed to serving families and students during these uncertain times; even when families are engaging in virtual education. We are excited to announce that we have developed the Y Learning Center, a safe and structured environment that will allow for students to attend virtual classes, benefit from peer interaction, and participate in engaging enrichment activities, while parents return to work.
The Y Learning Center provides a structured schedule to ensure that students are able to stay focused and on-task while engaging in virtual learning, and also receive onsite academic support in a small group setting. The YMCA will work directly with campus teachers as well as parents to ensure each child’s success.
Y Learning Center hours are 8 am–3 pm, similar to normal school hours. Space will be provided for students to participate in synchronous and asynchronous virtual learning, with counselors available to provide assistance. A certified teacher will also be hired to provide instructional support, as needed, to ensure achievement. The YMCA will provide experienced and trained counselors, maintaining a 1:9 staff-to-child ratio.
Parents will have the option of selecting an all-day program, which will include both academic and enrichment sessions. Each three-hour session will be separated by a lunch break. Parents may also choose to opt for only the academic or enrichment session, based on their family’s needs. If needed, Aftercare will be available for an additional cost, until 6 pm.
Y Learning Centers will be offered at the following YMCA locations:
- Lake Houston Family YMCA REGISTER >
- D. Bradley McWilliams YMCA at Cypress Creek REGISTER >
- Weekley Family YMCA REGISTER >
- Trotter Family YMCA REGISTER >
- MD Anderson Family YMCA REGISTER >
- Alief Family YMCA REGISTER >
- Houston Texans YMCA REGISTER >
- The Woodlands YMCA at Shadowbend REGISTER >
- Baytown @ St. Paul Lutheran Church REGISTER >
- Mark A. Chapman YMCA at Katy Main Street REGISTER >
- Fort Bend Family YMCA REGISTER >
- TW Davis Family YMCA REGISTER >
- Registration Fee: $35
- Academic Session 8-11 am: $25 per child per day
- Enrichment Session 12-3 pm: $20 per child per day
- Aftercare 3-6 pm: $15 per child per day
- Full Day 8 am-6 pm: $60 per child per day
CDC Guidelines and Safety Protocols
We are committed to keeping our participants and staff safe and healthy and the following procedures will be in place:
Small group sizes with a 1:9 ratio
Separate areas/rooms for each group of young people with the same staff each day
Scheduled hand washing and access to hand sanitizer
Staff are currently wearing face masks while in program area as well as children age 10+
Increased cleaning and disinfecting processes throughout the day