Build confidence, save lives! YMCA lifeguard positions offer flexible schedules, competitive pay, opportunities for year-round employment, and fun! With 25 locations in the Greater Houston Area, a YMCA pool is in your neighborhood!
About YMCA Lifeguard Training:
This certification course gives participants the skills and knowledge needed to become certified life guards. It offers up-to-date information on how to anticipate and prevent problems and how to take action to help those in danger. It also covers safety and survival skills every swimmer needs to know, accident prevention, guarding techniques, emergency systems, rescue skills and first aid in aquatic environments. Complete attendance is required and all e-learnings must be completed before the in-class portion of training.
• ASHI BLS, Basic First Aid and Oxygen Administration
• YMCA Lifeguarding
• Be at least 16 years old by the last day of the scheduled course
• Pass the physical competency requirements conducted on the first day
○Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only
○ Swim 100 yards of front crawl
○ Swim 50 yards of each: Front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke and elementary backstroke kick with hands on chest
○ Feet-first surface dive to depth of 10 feet and swim underwater for 15 feet
○ Sprint 60 feet, perform head surface dive to retrieve object in 10 feet of water, tread water for 1 minute without hands, return object to depth of 10 feet, swim remainder of pool length, exit pool and perform 100 chest compressions on a mannequin
• ASHI e-learning and YMCA Lifeguarding e-learning
View all Open Positions in Aquatics
Browse our current offerings of aquatics positions.